Thursday, March 29, 2007

I fly SWA

Hey Carrie,

A little something I thought you might find funny, considering the Southwest flights we took together. This is from Mason-Dixon Knitting (I know it is a knitting blog but I promise it doesn't bite, go ahead, try it):

"On a Southwest flight, the rule of "open seating" is the law, and none of the seats are assigned, which adds a little drama and potential for disappointment if you're in Boarding Group B. Group A is all smug and "oh I printed out my boarding passes last night"; back in the day, they were all student council presidents and extra-credit suckups. Group C is the Land of the Lost--a more fatalistic and resigned group you'll never see. They're all going into the middle seats. One guy said to me, "I just want a seat inside the plane." But Group B, my group, are the Strivers, the ones looking at Group A and kicking themselves for not printing out their boarding passes twelve minutes earlier yesterday. The Strivers hope against hope that they don't get stuck in the middle. The Strivers want only to be Not in the Middle. They want to be Group A, yet they are not."

I remember sitting in the Oakland airport waiting for our flight back to L.A. at some horrible hour of the wee morning after Jen and Sean's cat had attacked us all night. I was reading David Sedaris' Me Talk Pretty One Day, attempting to stay awake, and I started laughing out loud. I tried to read you the section but was laughing too hard to get the words out. I think you read the chapter for yourself and then all the way home we kept repeating the phrase "Sure, I'd love to go for a walk around the lake, just let me get my artificial leg."

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 7:47 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ah, SWA...it's been so long since I've taken those flights. Brings back good college memories - and that blog is absolutely accurate about the boarding groups!

I tried reading David Sedaris once and thought it was okay, but I didn't get into it. What am I missing?

 
At 1:05 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I absolutely love it

 

Post a Comment

<< Home