Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Only wanna be with you

C-Dawg,

You know what I just noticed about the photo from your 8th grade birthday party? Besides the Mickey Mouse Rugby shirt you are sporting and the Goleta Valley Junior High Official Drill Team Warm-Up sweatshirt I am wearing? And Leslie's Cal Poly sweatshirt that I still remember and how good that cake looks? I'm sure you have spotted it, right in the center- the red envelope! Yes, that magical red and white pattern on a large envelope meant only one thing- a gift certificate to The Wherehouse! You were always excited to see the red envelope on the pile of presents, because that led to a new tape of MC Hammer or, as more likely by the time of this photo, the latest CD of Hootie & the Blowfish. Ah, the power of the red envelope, full of dreams and excitement and the opportunity to choose your own music! There is a certain protocol of using the certificate. It wasn't one of these small gift cards that can fit in your wallet now. The red envelope has to be carefully carried in your backpack. You walk to The Wherehouse on Calle Real or get your parents to drop you off. You wander around the store, looking at the covers of hundreds of albums, even though you have known for weeks exactly which CD you will buy. You run into friends and their parents renting movies on VHS, and casually say, "I'm just checking out some CDs." You finally get to your carefully considered choice, and pick the one without scratches or cracks in the jewel case. You head to the counter and ceremoniously remove the certificate from the red envelope. You are there to purchase a CD and display your awesome taste in music. You are fourteen and powerful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home