Friday, October 28, 2005

Disillusionment

Until today I thought of myself as fairly well read. I have enjoyed reading since I was little and used to read the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew books after school. In 5th grade I read something like 2,000 pages in a month for our school-wide Read On! and won a trip to the Magic Castle in L.A. I got a 5 on the AP English test! So imagine my dismay when I looked up three “100 Best Novels” lists from reputable sources and discovered I had read less than 15% of the books on any one list. Wow, apparently I’m not the reader I though I was.

On the Modern Library’s list of the 100 Best Novels I have read ten. That list was put together by their board, so I counted up my past reads on the “Reader’s List,” thinking my taste and literary devotion would be in line with other readers, and still came up with only ten. On the Time magazine list of the 100 best English-language novels from 1923 (when Time debuted) to the present, I have read twelve. I went to the Observer’s 100 Greatest Novels of All Time, thinking that junior year spent in English Literature instead of the ever-popular American Literature might help out, but again I could only count twelve. I have read many of the authors on all the lists, but often other books than the ones specifically recognized. How much time have I wasted reading lesser novels? And see my “Livewire Book Club” to the right? Where I list On the Road? Which shows up in all three of the big lists, at #55 in its finest outing? That book that is sitting on my shelf, as yet unread? Ah, this is why I don’t have a better batting average when it comes to these lists. I am full of great intentions…

3 Comments:

At 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay, the fact that you actually looked up whether or not you qualified as bonafide bookworm might not improve your reading percentage, but it definitely validates your status as MVN (a.k.a. most valuable nerd). and hey, feel better about yourself: at least you have an attention span that allows you to FINISH books. i'd have to use fractions and decimals in my score.

oh, and by the by, i appreciate your batting average reference, my little sporting prodigy. good to see i'm still making a difference in your "ESPN mentality" all the way over here from the westside.

 
At 9:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Join the club, hon. I have a DEGREE IN LITURATURE, and I don't fair much better.
I guess when we finish writing our novels this month, we should be more serious about actually reading them.

 
At 5:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, like Theresa, I was a freaking English major in college and I pulled up a grand total of 12 on both of the Modern Library's lists. But, come on, can you really respect a list that says THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER by Tom Clancy is one of the "reader's choice" best novels? I mean, I know people love Tom Clancy, but c'mon?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home