Am I in Texas?
I went to the movies last Friday. I was in my seat, ready to watch House of D at a little, independent theater here in Santa Fe called the Jean Cocteau Cinema and Coffee House. The movie was good, but the best part was the theater itself. It is on a little side street near downtown and has free parking, which means it already beats 434 theaters in L.A. that like to rob you of $4 for your car plus the $10 you just spent to see the movie! As the name implies, there is a coffee house inside so you can take your mocha or cappuccino or whatever (I'll stick to hot chocolate, thank you) into the movie with you. Even though I'm not a coffee fan, I can appreciate how nice it might be to have coffee instead of popcorn with your thought-provoking dramas.
I was enamored with the theater and the coffee shop and sat ignoring most of the pre-show advertising for Justin's Frame Store when I heard this:
“Are you having problems? Are you depressed?”
The voice-over comes right before picture of a dark-haired woman looking down with a melancholy expression comes on the screen.
“Is your life not following the path you planned?”
Another picture of the woman looking sad, but in a different pose.
“Have you turned to Jesus?”
Drawing of Jesus on the cross.
“Jesus is there for us. He can help.”
Drawing of Jesus, not on the cross but looking encouraging and helpful.
“Turn to Jesus.”
Picture of the woman looking hopeful.
Screen and voice-over say:
“Turn to Jesus. Brought to you by Esteban Accounting, LLC in Albuquerque.”
No joke.


3 Comments:
Oh brother.
You ARE in the good ole South! And we can apparently go to church AND go to the movies? Hot dog!
That is so classic - did I ever tell you about the truck I saw a few months ago that read "Jesus is Lord Plumbing Co."? Only in the South.
Jen
Post a Comment
<< Home